Life and works
Edvin Hevonkoski (1923-2009) was born in Alavus and lived his later years in the city of Vaasa, Finland, where he had a job as a sheet metal worker.
Retired in 1982, almost at age sixty, he began a new career: making sculptures, first from wood, later on from scrap metal.
Active for many years, Hevonkoski alltogether has made some 300 creations. He impersonated famous people, such as the president of Finland and characters from classic (nordic) stories.
sculpture along the trail (from Bogartsblogg)
His house became too small for his production and mrs Hevonkoski probably was not amused by so many items around, so he decided to display the sculptures along a 1300 m long jogging trail that runs through the wooded area near his house.
I understand that it took some time before the local authorities realised what was going on there in the woods and once they did, they just let it happen.
picture from the weblog joce.blogit.kauppalehti.fi
On September 8, 2009, Edvin Hevonkoski died.
Future of the site
It is not clear who in the future will take care of the collection. The city of Vaasa has not yet decided what to do. Some years ago a local group aked the city council to take measures to organise kind of a museal institution around the creations. This suggestion however got a negative advise from local art experts, mainly because of the financial aspects.
* In another world, Kiasma, Helsinki, 2005
* Other Art, an exposition which in 2009 and 2010 travelled through Norway, Sweden and Finland. The Finnish part of the expo took place in the Ostrobothnian Museum in Vaasa. Special attention has been paid to Hevonkoski.
Documentation and more pictures
* Series of pictures on Vaasapedia
* On Bogartsblogg (oct 2011) a series of pictures of the sculptures along the trail
* Article and pictures on the ITE-net website
* Video (Youtube, 6'42", uploaded may 2011) showing activities in restoring sculptures along the trail (in finnish)
* Video by Mira House (Youtube, 5'00", uploaded nov 2011) showing Hevonkoski's sculptures and other creations
65300 Vaasa Finland